Southwest Airlines sunset departure

Saturday, August 18, 2007

LAX, No Mas

Good times, bad times--that is/was my LAX experience in a nutshell. The powers that be have decided that my stay at LAX be terminated and I start anew at Burbank Air Traffic Control Tower Monday. I cannot say enough of the quality of air traffic controllers in the tower, they are amazing. They are being pushed to the maximum due to the lack of controllers , many experienced controllers are retiring and breaks/days off are becoming scarce (remember August, 1981?). Working there was amazing, but in retrospect, not working there will allow me to get my life back. Each day of motorcycling the 405 freeway, non-stop talking to airplanes, dealing with “interesting” people, (like running a marathon everyday)--NO MAS. So it’s back to BUR airport--let the good times roll!

6 comments:

barbemil said...

I thought maybe it was getting to you! I'm glad you won't be on that long freeway ride on your motorcycle anymore!!! I hope it was a friendly parting of the ways. Is your old job at Burbank still waiting for you? Lots of love, Mom

Mark Economou said...

I get the old job back and start Monday. Actually, I've had 4 calls from controllers thanking me for coming back. I'm looking forward to helping out! I get my life back, but really loved the experience at LAX.

It's all good.

Jim said...

I think it was a political pool and that it will suffer in the long run. I'm sure it's bitter sweet but baby now it's really SWEET, life is good and I'm sure better at BUR. I am proud of my friend for his tenacity and spunk. Not to many guys like you grace our life’s here on earth. Keep up the good work we need your good example. I would sure like to be a goat on the wall, no that's not right, is it? Run the race and finish well, were all behind you.

Unknown said...

hooray for burbank! i'm sure they'll be really happy to have you back (and those LAX guys are no fun anyway!)

I'm glad you'll spend less time commuting, too...that's NEVER fun.

Can't wait to hear how your first day went, I'm on needles and threads... :)

(MR. BOLT, your "goat on the wall" comment made me laugh out loud.)

Sybrand and Beth de Swardt said...

Thats good to hear. I know LAX was a good stretching experience for you but am glad you get to go back to friendly faces....

Mark Economou said...

First day at Burbank was listening for 3 hours to the controllers telling me their woes in life at the tower and how I need to fix it.

It was like coming home again after a long trip. Life is good!